3.30.2012

YUM-I think I might have created the most amazing thing to enter my mouth...ever.



Every week I create a 7 day meal plan for the following week, and then make my grocery list accordingly. This is great because we only buy the groceries we will need, so therefore we save money and waste a lot less food.
But it's hard! I spend what seems like HOURS scouring the Internet for recipes that:
A. Are meatless
B. My family will eat
C. Aren't boring salads, pasta's, or any other bland stereotypical vegetarian meal.
Hard. Core.

All I have to say is thank the sweet baby jesus for Pinterest. It has come to my rescue on many occasions!

I recently stumbled upon this little gem, and thought YUM!

Open-Faced Ratatouille Sandwich

And then thought, "I can do better."
And I did.

Presenting "The best sandwich I've ever put in my mouth"
...or something like that. Clearly needs a better name...

Ingredients:

olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small zucchini slices, then quartered
1/2 medium red pepper, cut in strips
1/2 of a small red onion, cut in slices
handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
2 slices of mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper
Oregano
2 eggs
Loaf of French bread...or any other good crusty bread. I used this Rosemary French bread that I found at The Fresh Market, and it was awesome.
1/2 cup Veganaise (or whatever you use, Miracle Whip or mayonnaise would be fine)
1 chipotle pepper, minced (from a can of Chipotle Chili's in Adobo Sauce)
1/2 teaspoon-1 teaspoon of Adobo sauce
squirt of lemon juice

How To: (Makes 2 VERY FILLING portions)

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Add garlic, onion, eggplant, zucchini, & red peppers. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
Add cherry tomatoes, salt & pepper, and oregano. Cook for about 5 more minutes.

Meanwhile, cook eggs in separate skillet to desired doneness, and toast 4 slices of bread until lightly browned. I did this in our toaster oven, but you could just as easily place them under the broiler for a few minutes.


For chipotle mayo: Mix together mayo of your choice with minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and lemon juice. Chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce are crazy spicy, so I recommend adding a little, tasting, and adjusting as necessary!

Place 2 slices of bread together on each plate. Spread a nice thick layer of chipotle mayo over top.
Top with a heaping serving of the sauteed vegetables. (I had about a 1/2 cup of veggies left over after assembling both sandwiches)
Top each with a slice of mozzarella cheese
And put an egg on it! Grab a fork and knife and dig in.

I'm not at all joking when I say how amazing this is. Richard and I were talking about it HOURS after dinner was over.
The only thing missing is a super bad ass name to represent this super bad ass sandwich.
My pal Erin has appropriately called it the "OMG"
and Lincoln dubbed it the "Eggy Face"

Any other suggestions??


3 comments:

Thánh Thiện Tâm said...

@ Vatinam+
Wish you a good day and full of joy...

Gabby said...

YUM! That looks so delicious and easy. Trying it asap :)

melifaif said...

This does sound completely deeeelish!!!!! Annnnnd I like Linc's name idea. :)

p.s. I sooooooo thought you would have delivered by now. Come on baby!!!!